Thursday 20 September 2012

What to do for my Honours project

After my first Honours lesson I am still unsure what to base my project on. In the lesson as a group we discuss each others ideas. From this I know I want to base my project on 3D modelling but I'm still unsure what to model or what theme. I want to become a 3D artist in the game industry and therefore want to use the honours project as a way of show casing my 3D work. I was advice to look at the level needed to become a 3D artist and what company expect and are asking for.

I looked at lots different game companies and the jobs they have to offer in and outside the UK. Some of these companies were:

1. Creative Assembly UK
     Applicable Jobs: 3D Environment Artist and additional game content
                                 3D character Artist
                                 http://www.creative-assembly.com/jobs/
  
 Comment: Both jobs stated they were looking for someone with Expert knowledge of Max/Maya an Photoshop. as well as expect know of game development pipeline. I will need to show these skill in this project to help me better me chances of becoming a 3D artist.

2. Rebellion UK
   Applicable Jobs: Environment Artist
http://www.rebellion.co.uk/jobs/artists/environment_artist/

Comments: For this job some of the skills they want from a 3D artist are: Ability to translate concept and reference artwork into 3D game assets, Strong UV mapping skills with efficient layouts, Model and texture both high and low polygon environments, including terrain, buildings and props.

3. Crytek Ukraine 
    Applicable Jobs: 3D Artists
http://www.crytek.com/career/offers/overview/kiev/art-animation/3d-modeler

Comments: For this job requirements, they ask you to provide them with work samples (10-15 best work samples in JPG format. they also looking for skill such as: the ability to model photorealistic environment based on photo reference and a the ability to create assets within given technical limitations.


Although I am no closer to deciding on what to do for my honours project, besides something 3D. I am now have a greater understanding of what is required and wanted for the role of a 3D artist. because of this I now know what skills I need to gain and highlight at the end of my project.       

No comments:

Post a Comment